Food Review: What in the world is Shakshuka? Shakshouka? Shukshuka?


Shakshuka. Shakshouka. Shukshuka?
Shakshouka (Arabicشكشوكة‎; Hebrewשקשוקה‎) (also shakshuka) is a dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoeschili peppers,onions, often spiced with cumin. It is believed to have a Tunisian origin. - from Wikipedia
It's pretty weird sounding, right? This type of food may be common in the middle east/ Mediterranean but  I can guarantee that most Pinoys haven't even heard of it. 

I had the chance to try out the dish from Cafe Mediterranean at the Powerplant over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised by how it tasted. The Wikipedia description posted above is fairly accurate in my opinion. The texture was a bit like runny spaghetti sauce without the meat and it tasted a bit like it too. They poached an egg over the mixture which, in my opinion, made it tastier.

Would I order it again? Maybe. It was too much like spaghetti sauce, albeit with slivers of onion and chillies, and I thought that I could easily (hehe) recreate it at home. Still, Kudos to the Cafe Mediterranean team for adding something new (and interesting) to their menu!


Comments

Popular Posts